The 176th Fighter Squadron was organized at Truax Field in 1948. The F-51 Mustang was the aircraft assigned to the unit. In 1950, 10 of the unit's 25 Mustangs were shipped to Korea in support of the Korean War effort. In February 1951, the 176th Fighter Squadron was called to active duty but remained at Truax Field.
During the active duty tour, the 176th Fighter Squadron converted its aircraft to the F-89A Scorpion. They became the first Air National Guard unit to fly the modern jet fighter. In October of 1952, the 176th returned to reserve status and state control, and converted back to the F-51 Mustang.
We are a premier Fighter Wing in the Total Force, serving proudly in the global contingency and homeland defense roles and missions, providing our federal and state partners a Ready, Reliable, Relevant, and Respected force; demonstrating our core values: Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence In All We Do.
The Air National Guard as we know it today -- a separate reserve component of the United States Air Force -- was a product of the politics of postwar planning and interservice rivalry during World War II. The men who planned and maneuvered for an independent postwar Air Force during World War II didn't place much faith in the reserves, especially the state-dominated National Guard.