Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Truax Field is located at the Dane County Regional Airport, just on the Northeast side of Madison, Wisconsin. It was activated as an Army Air Base in June of 1942. It was deactivated as an active military base in in 1968, when it was taken over by the Wisconsin Air National Guard. It was named in honor of Lieutenant Thomas L. Truax, a Wisconsin native, who was killed in a P-40 training accident in November 1941.
The 176th Fighter Squadron was organized at Truax Field in 1948. The F-51 Mustang was the aircraft assigned to the unit. In 1950, 10 of the unit's 25 Mustangs were shipped to Korea in support of the Korean War effort. In February 1951, the 176th Fighter Squadron was called to active duty but remained at Truax Field.
During the active duty tour, the 176th Fighter Squadron converted its aircraft to the F-89A Scorpion. They became the first Air National Guard unit to fly the modern jet fighter. In October of 1952, the 176th returned to reserve status and state control, and converted back to the F-51 Mustang.
Click here to read more on the 115th Fighter Wing.
Photos and information about USAF aircraft and history.
1948-1953 F-51D "Mustang"
1953-1954 F-86 "Sabre"
1954-1966 F-89 "Scorpion"
1966-1974 F-102 "Delta Dagger"
1974-1979 O-2A "Skymaster"
1979-1981 OA-37 "Dragonfly"
1981-1992 A-10 "Thunderbolt II"
1992-Present F-16 C "Fighting Falcon"