Charity golf outing 'CARES' for Airmen

  • Published
  • By Senior Airman Ryan Roth
  • 115th Fighter Wing Public Affairs
Nearly 90 golfers came together to swing their clubs at the Falcon Open, a charity golf outing at the Bridges Golf Course in Madison, June 7 and raised over $7,000 to assist employees of the 115th Fighter Wing, Joint Force Headquarters, Volk Field Combat Readiness Training Center and their families in times of need.

The Falcon Open first adopted the non-profit organization Caring Assistance and Relief Effort Services in 1993 to help raise funds with which to provide financial aid to Airmen and their families.

"CARES has provided support to Airmen who have gone through difficult situations including a job loss, mortgage problems, furnace repair bills, medical bills and even a family member's house that burned down," said Chief Master Sgt. Bradley Thompson, 115th Fighter Wing command post superintendent.

CARES has had an impact over the years because of its ability to be responsive by providing immediate financial aid with no expectation of repayment.

"The program is near and dear to the hearts of the 115th Fighter Wing Airmen," said Master Sgt. Tim Hein, CARES president. "Each fundraising event is successful because Wing members give generously."

Approximately 60 percent of the funds raised will go directly to the CARES program, the other 40 percent is donated to the Airman and Family Readiness Program that will provide direct support of this year's Family Day event.

The Falcon Open Golf Committee received assistance from 10 volunteers that supported
various activities.

"The Falcon Open is a prime example of taking care of the Airman," said Thompson. "It is a true wingman's program, a program the member's families can turn to in a time of need."